Just like posting incriminating photographs on face book, openness in writing online can be a potentially dangerous feat also. What you type and post online is readily available to any and everyone in the public eye. This truth opens the door for a lot of misunderstanding, offense and incrimination. Although the consequences could be negative and frightening, it can also be exhilarating. The consequences could range from an editor asking to read more of your work to a piece of your writing being turned around to misrepresent who you are.
I find writing on line a rather frightening thing, although whatever is posted is in my own words and these words can be “edited” or taken down altogether, the time it is posted is a time of vulnerability. Because it is online it could also be taken by another and used for their benefit, or plagiarized although I have yet to be a victim in this act it is a risk of online writing. Also your writing is open to mass scrutiny and thus mass critique. With so many eyes eager and easily placed on my online writing I often find this gives the onlooker a sense of freedom to respond which may sound like more like a benefit to the writer it puts you in a position to be analyzed on a lot of levels. Just like with any online database people often feel they can withhold their true identity, for example a normally shy person will now feel comfortable to express any harsh or negative thing about a text that they would have otherwise, in person, just kept quiet about.
After blogging within a constrained class of piers and specified discussion topics the threats do diminish. I have found great rewards in hearing what others have to say on my personal thoughts. We are making good use of the benefits of collaborating because of the comment requirements. This interaction through writing has made online openness more personable and beneficial. Also publishing online allows a much wider audience, that would have probably otherwise never heard, hear what you have to say.
I feel like with anything on line there are clear dangers and extravagant benefits. I also believe we should not let one or the other prevent or over-enable a writer. No writer should fear their work being online to the point of restricting any of their writing from ever being posted. I think it is a growing experience for both the author and the audience to engage in it. The writer should never fear what others will say or how their work may be falsely perceived or wrongly used. Think about it, if there were no writers brave enough to open up online we would not be the opinion-driven, outspoken, clear-minded individuals we are today. Through reading countless others material we are better able to form who we are and what we believe. On the flip side the online scene should not be misused for corrupt comments and unruly thoughts. The openness of writing online has its consequences so be careful and have fun!
Great post. It definitely can be difficult to open yourself up to the possibility of critique, especially from strangers, but the fact that you're having mostly good experiences with your peers is excellent.
ReplyDeleteGood points! I agree that you can't side with one extreme or the other, then you would never have any fun! I like your ideals on what the internet should and should no be used for.
ReplyDelete