I am an insanely over-annalistic person, which is a flaw at times, but other times not so much! I am not hesitant on critiquing things I see fit for critiquing. What I mean by that is I am most definitely not going to heartlessly walk up to someone and tell her that her outfit is hideous and list ten reasons why. But I am willing to read someone’s paper and identify areas that need work and attempt to aid the person in fixing it. I will do my best to spot obvious weak points but often, like in the case of this paper, after reading each of my group’s papers they all were very clear and concise in all they presented.
I find good constructive criticism to be comments that assist the writer in enhancing their work. For instance critiques like “that word sucks” is not helpful or kind but a critique like “ you could use a better word here, like challenging instead of hard”. So advice not just rash statements. Helpful comments make the own writer dig deeper into their own paper and help them see things they missed or maybe did not clearly state originally. Criticism is option but also fact. I find it enjoyable when the critic adds comments based on personal option providing me with different vantage points but also it is crucial the critic not give only personal option or give it too loudly. What I mean by that is it is not good if you get a paper back and the whole paper just says frilly things based on option but no help on how to edify your paper.
Likewise it is not aiding when a critic only says good things, even if the paper is written well, it most certainly is not flawless. Receiving a paper with “great job” “this was so great” all over it is sweet and no doubt encouraging but far from helpful.
In order for me to be a good critique I must balance kindness with toughness. Address clear mistakes or confusing parts but also commend for the overall accomplishment. I must maintain the line between personal opinion and helpful tips. And I must think of the other person above myself. Ultimately my critique will hopefully help them achieve a higher grade and with that outlook it is important to take the time and effort to pour into critiquing critically.
The most helpful critiques someone could give me is a thoughtful one. One that picks apart my paper but does not butcher it. Appreciates my writing but does not water is down to mere praise. A piece of advice that was not flippant but thought out and done with a genuine desire to better my piece.
Critiquing is different than analyzing because it is taking your analyzing it and using it to better sharpen another’s work. Critiquing is a beneficial discipline for yourself and others and is one that will always be needed as long as writing is around.
Being over-analytical certainly has it's strong and weak points, but for critiquing it definitely comes in handy! I agree with what you said about giving criticism but not being rash about it.
ReplyDeleteSounds like your a hrash critic! This makes me feel really good about my rhetorical essay because you didn't see too much wrong with it haha. But presenting constructive criticism is never a bad thing.
ReplyDelete