Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Qualitative stiiiiinnnkksss
Clearly I am writing this blog post later than the due date and because of my timing it is after the last class session where I think I asked all my questions. I cannot remember all the questions I asked and because I do feel that they were adequately answered I do not feel it quite necessary to re-ask them on this blog post. But since I want a good grade on my blogs I will attempt to remember what I was feeling before our last class session where we discussed the paper in great detail. I remember struggling with not fully wrapping my head around what this paper really wanted. It is not quite an opinion paper, it is not a research paper and it is not a comparative paper. Meaning it is not a paper of what I personally feel about two different mediums of one story, it is not a paper where I gather all this hard research found all over the internet and it is not a paper simply comparing the similarities or differences between the two. So what is it?? It is very tricky. You have to pick a two types of mediums with which one common story is told, then you must somehow form some kind of a thesis between the two, then form open ended questions related to your thesis to retrieve qualitative data on what other people think then you have to someone form a 6 page paper about what you people said and how it relates to your thesis and sum it all up by saying what the point of the paper even is to begin with. It is just way too confusing. Then not to mention the fact it was told to us that you may not even be able to form a thesis or clear aim for the paper until after the interviews or after a lot of the writing is done. I thought I did not like quantitative writing but it has hit me that I like it a lot better. It is clear and easy to understand and write a paper on. I am just extremely confused and overwhelmed by this paper. I do not know how I will use the people’s answers to back up my original claim or if that’s what I am even supposed to be doing. I think because feelings are so ambiguous, qualitative research and writing based on what other people think not personal opinion is difficult. At this point, in my frustration I am sorry to say I cannot give a “best” aspect. But once I have the paper done, ill let you know. All these above concerns are challenges I am currently facing and I will overcome them somehow by simply trying to get the paper done, I feel like all these concerns are ones that can only be done away with a completed paper. So at this point whatever confusion I still hold needs to just be put aside and I need to concoct a qualitative paper out of it. So here I go…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think qualitative research is the hardest too. It's difficult to write on something that's not your personal opinion.
ReplyDelete