Monday, August 30, 2010

Preliminary thoughts. true feelings version.


Although we did not blog for the public our feelings about writing itself, I will not hesitate to openly express my incredible dislike for it. This, no doubt, plays the weighty role on my feelings for this first writing assignment. Because I so avidly dislike the act of writing I inevitably dislike the first WRITING assignment. Now I wish my blog could stop there but 500 words is quite a bit away so now I will simply pour out my feelings to you about this assignment.
First of all, I have no time! As I am sure you do, I have so many other classes to focus on, not to mention the fact that this is my first semester of my freshmen year of college, inarguably a difficult period of adjustment in and of itself but then load up a weight load of pressing classes and you suddenly loose momentum. By the time I am done only writing out how to manage it all my next few hours have gone by!
How does this relate to this paper you may ask? Because after a filled weekend I find myself attempting the feat of a 5 page paper… in one night! Now, HOW STUPID, one might say to me. The tragedy is not this, the tragedy is the chunk of time I set aside this weekend devoted to my paper, only to find I had to use up all that time just to FIND an ad worth writing about. So here I sit, blogging my heart out!!! Frustrated at the intense lack of time, and the incredible inability I have to accomplish a paper thrown at me in such a short time. High school just simply was not like this.
Sooo, finally I found a topic to write a paper on, a commercial. Not my ideal piece of media but one that can fill five pages. The piece contains entrancing emotional appeals through its powerful music and startling images. It also encompasses the ethos by using Barack Obama as its authority no doubt giving it some sense of credibility. Then, like most commercials, ends with a strong logos appeal through showcasing the organization and disclaimer facts.
This commercial is effective in convincing you of something although after repeatedly watching it I loose its core message. After analyzing it piece-by-piece though it shows it strategically uses the elements of the rhetorical triangle.
As I mentioned at the beginning of this blog, the roadblocks are innumerable. Although it is late and I am probably exaggerating quite a bit I find this task grueling and bubbling over with stress.  The hybridity has finally hit me, and I am detrimentally falling behind! I must overcome the lack of motivation and my insurmountable lack of time management! The roadblock of perfection must be demolished along with all the others. Above all I will conquer my dislike for writing. I will, somehow, produce my first paper for English 101 and it will knock your socks off! 

4 comments:

  1. You'll do great, because I know you've already written enough! Now all that is left is to edit, revise, rewrite, and polish. And of course, make a strong effort to manage your time, which is very difficult AND very important. But you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, all the writing that we have to do is a bit much, even for someone that likes to write like me. The commercial sounds very interesting in how it references Barack Obama, yet it is made by a Catholic organization, which tend to be conservative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw you always write so well though, even when you’re venting. No worries because your ad sounds really good. I'm struggling too with the hybrid course but in the end I think it'll be a great, and also forceful, way to quickly learn time management.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time management will come with this Hybrid course that's for sure , but you can do it!! The advertisemnt you picked sounds really powerful.

    ReplyDelete